Tessier Gardens – Torquay
Hidden away between Babbacombe and St. Marychurch, Tessier Gardens is a small and delightful park that was given to the town in 1933 by Mrs H.A Tessier ‘for the use of adults only’ (conditions of the garden covenant).
In the same year a ‘Sun Temple’ was constructed in the gardens, as recognition of her generosity.
In 1975 a scented garden for the blind was planted with the botanical names of the plants etched in Braille on copper plates.
They are a beautiful, tranquil and peaceful place to visit. Get away from the hustle and bustle of life and enjoy this sanctuary of calm.
Tessier Gardens have won many awards including the RHS Green Flag.
They are open from morning to dusk and the gates are locked at night.
The main entrance is via Lindridge Road, a cul-de-sac adjacent to Furrough Cross Church. There are a few car parking spaces on the roadside opposite, alternatively there is a large car park in Hampton Avenue.